Sunday, February 19, 2012

Winter Adventures: Silver Lake


I definitely have winter adventures, but haven't blogged much about them. Many of them are at night, snowshoeing all over creation. Others are in adverse conditions, making picture-taking difficult. We were soaked to the bone on one memorable adventure up Maple Mountain. Taking pictures was not a good option. But this past Saturday, we had a glorious day AND I remembered my camera. We skied up the road from Tibble Fork Reservoir about 3.5 miles to Silver Lake Flat Reservoir (no water in it) pictured here. We intended to hike to Silver Lake, about 2 miles farther on, at the base of that mountain in the middle of the first photo, White Baldy. The mountain is part of the boundary between American Fork Canyon and Little Cottonwood Canyon.


This next photo is a look back at Timp from Silver Lake Flat.











It was an AMAZING day! I'm not sure the temperature, but I was very warm. Probably around 30 degrees, but we were working hard! Lots of sun. I should have had my hat. I definitely wore sunscreen.

























Surrounded by beauty on the way to Silver Lake. I had to turn around to get back to Nathan's basketball game and so didn't make it to the lake. Still, my grand total miles were about 11, with a 1500 foot elevation gain. I did it in four hours flat. Theo came along but didn't hold still long enough to be in any photo.









Heading up to Silver Lake, about the spot where I turned around. It was 3 hours up, 1 hour down. The snow was a couple feet deep up here at 8,000 feet. Not nearly as deep as last year, when this would have been a sink-to-your-waist struggle the whole way. Perfect conditions; no avalanche danger.












Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment